VMware has released NSX Data Center for vSphere 6.4.2 and it comes with some nice improvements.
Multicast routing is the big one in this release of course. It’s good to see that once again more NSX components can be managed/used with the vSphere Client (H5). Interesting as well is the addition of two new administrative roles: Network Engineer and Security Engineer.
Here’s a list of all that’s new:
Networking and Edge Services
- Multicast Support: Adds ability to configure L3 IPv4 multicast on Distributed Logical Router and Edge Service Gateway through support of IGMPv2 and PIM Sparse Mode.
- Default Limit of MAC identifiers: Increases from 2048 to 4096
- Hardware VTEP: Added multi PTEP cluster capability to facilitate environments with multiple vCenters
- Context-Aware Firewall: Additional Layer 7 Application Context Support (EPIC, MSSQL, BLAST AppIDs)
- Firewall Rule Hit Count: Monitor rule usage and easily identify unused rules for clean-up
- Firewall Section Locking: Enables multiple security administrators to work concurrently on the firewall
- NSX Application Rule Manager: Improved scale to 100 vNICs per session, further simplifying the process of creating security groups and whitelisting firewall rules for existing applications.
NSX User Interface
- VMware NSX – Functionality Updates for vSphere Client (HTML): The following VMware NSX features are now available through the vSphere Client: TraceFlow, User Domains, Audit Logs, Events & Tasks. For a list of supported functionality, please see VMware NSX for vSphere UI Plug-in Functionality in vSphere Client.
Operations and Troubleshooting
- Authentication & Authorization: Introduces 2 new roles (Network Engineer and Security Engineer). Adds ability to enable/disable basic authentication.
- NSX Scale Dashboard: Provides visibility into 25 new metrics. Adds ability to edit usage warning thresholds and filter for objects exceeding limits.
- NSX Controller Cluster Settings: Specify common settings (DNS, NTP, Syslog) to apply to NSX Controller Cluster.
- Support for VM Hardware version 11 for NSX components: For new installs of NSX 6.4.2, NSX appliances (Manager, Controller, Edge, Guest Introspection) are installed with VM HW version 11. For upgrades to NSX 6.4.2, please see Upgrade Notes for further details.
You can find the full release notes over here.
Updating my lab to 6.4.2 using the Upgrade Coordinator was a breeze. 🙂